Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Adulthood

"It may sound silly, but the day I realized I could buy any kind of soda I wanted was an exciting day for me ( as an adult)"

I was at MacDonald's that day, after having lunch with Ivy (where she told me about her engagement- Congratulations again, Ivy!) and I was just standing at the counter trying to decided on an iced latte, a low-fat mango frappe or an iced coke. That was probably when I had a moment. I'd read this quote somewhere a while ago, and while I was debating on which drink to get, I realised......... that I was an adult. ( Well, sort of, I'm technically not 21 yet..)

I could actually order anything I wanted for lunch, anything I wanted for dessert. And I could even order DOUBLE DESSERT if I wanted to. I could buy a motorbike, I could watch any movie I wanted, I could go out whenever I wanted, I could do WHATEVER I wanted.

When I was younger, all the way through high school, this was always my ultimate goal, to be able to have that freedom, that autonomy, to do anything I wanted, anytime I wanted.

Funny, I've had that for so long now, and it just came so seamlessly, I never realised I had it. There was no epic moment like in the movies, where something happens to signify the passing on from childhood innocence to adult responsiblity. No uplifting soundtrack, no solemn narration. I just, became.

Without knowing it, I'd become an adult.

And boy, adulthood isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe because along the way you learn that every action has its consequences. Eat double dessert, get fat or sick later. Buy anything you want, end up broke or sleeping in a gutter somewhere. Don't study, fail your subjects and graduate late.

God works in funny ways doesn't he?
He made it so that as kids we lack the freedom but go through life with so much innocence. We are able to dream, to hope, to make impossible plans as kids because of this innocence we have. And then even though he gave us this freedom as adults, we don't embrace it fully anyway because of this loss of innocence, because of all these lessons we learn along the way to becoming an adult.

Ah, life.

And just fyi, I got the mango frappe. (It was yummy! Haha)

4 comments:

esther said...

love this post.. it's just so original and makes sense. Sometimes, time just flies right under our noses... 2010 one year older. Wish we still possessed the innocence and ignorance of children..=)

ida said...

Haha thanks esther.
Its amazing how time flies isn't it?
Looking back makes me miss my childhood sometimes haha. But oh well, life goes on! :D

oakleyses said...

tiffany and co, michael kors outlet online sale, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, coach factory outlet, burberry outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, true religion jeans, air max, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin, burberry outlet, nike shoes, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, oakley sunglasses cheap, coach outlet store online, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, air max, prada outlet, gucci outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, kate spade handbags

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, nike roshe run, nfl jerseys, rolex watches, marc jacobs, canada goose, canada goose jackets, beats by dre, ugg boots, asics running shoes, jimmy choo outlet, birkin bag, valentino shoes, canada goose, reebok outlet, mac cosmetics, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, uggs, hollister, ugg australia, ghd, herve leger, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, ugg boots clearance, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, canada goose, bottega veneta, north face outlet, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg, instyler, wedding dresses, ugg pas cher, north face jackets, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, vans shoes, celine handbags, mont blanc, p90x, ugg boots